Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"The Funnest iPod ever" - Will it get any worserer?


The funnest iPod ever is actually the tagline that Apple chose. They picked it. They had meetings about it. And probably focus groups too. It was thrown around their board room and discussed. And not one person, not one, said to themselves, "wait a minute.........is funnest a word?".

I wouldn't say that I am a grammar nazi or anything but I have standards. The word 'funnest' does not meet my standards, not even close. It's not that I have a problem with made up words. They are fine. Think about the wonderful Lewis Carroll. He made up some darling new words like 'chortle' in Jabberwocky. He combined the word 'snort' and 'chuckle'. Now, I think that the English language needed a word to describe that sound.

However, 'funnest' is one of those words that shouldn't be on TV. It's only a matter of time before every child in America thinks that it's okay to say that they had the funnest weekend ever. I think it's irresponsible. I can see why Apple didn't use, "It's the most fun iPod ever" because frankly, that's just a weak tagline. Why not: "iPod touch. Feel the Fun". Granted, that's not exactly brilliant but it doesn't stick in my throat like thick, nasty bile.

If it gets any worse, I'm going to quit copywriting!

No comments:

Post a Comment