Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Is it UK or GB?

The answer is both. Each is the correct term. It is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Since I've been in America, it has come to my attention that no one really knows the correct term for us. Are we British, United Kingdomish, Great Britainish or just all English? It's a fair enough question too. We haven't exactly made it very clear.

I always wondered why we called ourselves Great Britain. I thought it was probably because we were a collection of solo nations (Scotland, England, Northern Ireland, Wales) and when united became a greater sum and so 'great'. Or another explanation I made up, and one which I secretly considered to be more likely, was that we were such an arrogant nation, we thought 'great' was the one word that truly summed us up.

I am glad to find upon investigation, that the 'great' in Great Britain was in fact to distinguish it from Brittania Minor, which is now modern day Brittany, France. A lovely holiday destination incedentally. I hope that makes matters more clear.

Here endeth this year's history lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment